Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Couple therapy

Okay, so I've never been to couple therapy, actually. But tonight, Michael and I went on a run together, and that was just as good - no, better.

Mostly, I'm a solo runner - although I do enjoy company occasionally, I kind of like my independent pursuit of running, free to go as fast or as slow as I want to, to go where I want to, for as long as I want to - being answerable only to myself. Today though, I invited Michael to jog along beside me, and we had one of those great heart-to-hearts that really cleared some air between us. A lot of issues came up that we had been sort of avoiding, or that we had discussed earlier, with the end result of me winding up emotionally depleted and in tears. Something about running, though, really clears my head, and I was able to discuss all these deep-seated issues in a matter-of-fact, logical, rational manner. It was so refreshing to feel cool and collected amidst all the turmoil we've been going through, to the rhythm of even breathing and steady steps.

Five miles later, neither of us had broken a sweat - obviously, chatting is no race strategy - but both of us were considerably happier. For now, at least, I think we're okay - and for now, at least, that's all that I can ask for. I now think of our relationship the way I now think of my running: yes, there may be some sketchy long term goals - but the important thing is to take things day by day, to commit to making things happen in the present, and trust that by doing so I will gradually sort out the future as it comes. Crossing those bridges, one step at a time.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home