Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Cramping my style

Will it never end? This horrible heat, that is. Every time I step outside, it's like being hit by a tidal wave of ick.

I thought I would beat it today, because, for once this summer, I was in close proximity to Hart House, a university facility that has an indoor track. We do have another, better track at the Athletic Centre, which I suspect is air-conditioned, but students are not allowed there in the summer unless they're taking classes. Poo on them. But I figured, indoors is indoors, I know Hart House has lots of fans, and I'm sure there won't be many people there. How bad can it be?

Answer: BAD. I was right on both counts - the place was practically empty, the fans were all trying their darndest, but nothing could really stir the swampy air. It wasn't quite as bad as outdoors, as I was at least spared the sun beating directly down on me, but I still felt like I was in actual danger of getting heatstroke, and had to reluctantly cut my 4 miles down to a measly 4k. Boo.

I'm definitely going back to my evening run habit. It's just so hard to fit them in around working night shifts, and having a social life! I'm having trouble getting in three runs a week, let alone the four that I have planned for my half marathon training. Grrr.

Ah well - next week, I get to escape to the cottage for two whole weeks, where I can luxuriate in the lower temps and lovelier scenery. I was there this weekend in fact, and fit in a fantastic 7 miles on the winding, unpaved roads. It's about as close as this Toronto runner ever gets to "real" trails! Can you imagine it though - I had to run hills! Hills I tell you - what are these geographical peculiarities that insist on making one run up and down?! Very hard on me, I must say :) But it does feel good to run and breathe in air, instead of thick grey smog. Very good indeed. Four runs a week? Here I come!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:30 p.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    The heat is killing all of us. I, sadly, admit I haven't even tried to run. I'm not training for a race, so I figure I'll just pick back up in a few weeks.

    Good for you for at least trying.

     
  • At 5:41 p.m., Blogger Rice said…

    Lol, I love your description of hills..

    Cheers.

    Rice.

     
  • At 8:32 p.m., Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said…

    OK, OK, I'm all kinds of envious about you getting away to cooler temps and real trails.

    Have a good time away from the big city.

    Stay tuned...

     
  • At 9:45 p.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    How cruel are they to not allow you to use the indoor track? Geez.

    But at least you are getting away for a little bit from the heat.

     
  • At 11:45 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    The heat finally broke here. It's been between 50 and 55 in the mornings, nice and cool. High of about 75 today. I'm loving it!

    Your cottage sounds wonderful - I hope you get some good runs in while you are there.

     
  • At 3:40 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    hills, woo hoo!

    our heat finally left...and instead, we're drowning in water!

     
  • At 5:00 p.m., Blogger yumke said…

    I feel your pain, Liv. It's freeking hot in Toronto. I decided to run north to Bloor/spadina area and regretted it. It's at least 5 degrees warmer in the city proper than the waterfront.

     
  • At 1:49 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Hills are our friends.

     
  • At 1:57 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    I hope it cools down for you soon.

    Enjoy the time at the cottage!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home