Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Wow

All I have to say is, some people's rain gods are hard core. I'm super thankful for the rain, and the run - oh it was gorgeous! but thunderstorming so hard it knocked out power all over the place for a whole day? Sheesh! Now I know what Angie meant when she said "be careful what you wish for"!

I'm not really complaining - after all, Toronto itself didn't lose power, just some rural areas around us. So I feel a little bad for them, but I feel better that I got in my run. Yes, I'm selfish :) But seriously, people, 5 miles on a cool(ish) afternoon with a light rain misting you gently? How can you beat that? Okay, so I still felt like a steamed dumpling by the time I was done... but it was nothing in comparison to this week's earlier failed attempt. I am one happy runner.

So thank you all for doing your rain dances. Obviously, it was bloggers that did it. I don't put much faith in the Weather Network.

You know, it's funny, today I was so appreciative of being able to exercise, and all week I've been so blue without it. Yet something happened today that really struck me, and made me realize just how incredibly easy it is to be lazy in our society. I was on my way to work, just entering the building which leads to the subway station, and as I reached to open the door, a woman coming through in the opposite direction punched the handicap button which opens it automatically. Funny thing is, the exact same scenario had happened to me the night before, with a different person. And as I impatiently reached out for the door handle to yank it open with my own strength (those automatic mechanisms go at a snail's pace, seriously! who can wait?) it truly amused me that two separate people, perfectly upright and healthy, and not carrying any parcels, had felt the need to have the door opened automatically for them rather than taking a split second to use their own arms. I mean, really. It's so sad. In this world, no one really has to do anything physical at all if they aren't inclined to. They can drive their cars, ride the elevator, and push handicap buttons. They can also eat McDonalds and KFC and have heart attacks at the age of 35. It's kind of tragic, actually.

It makes me so happy to be active. To actually enjoy my exercise, to be passionate about it. We live in a world where physical activity is largely a leisure activity, and where it is increasingly difficult to avoid bad health choices - but we are runners, and using our legs, our lungs, our entire physical beings, I think we really do rise above a lot of society's garbage. Yes we drink our fair share of beer, we eat our cake and our pizza and our ice cream, but ultimately we treat our bodies with respect, and we can feel good about that. We all run for so many different reasons, but we share one thing: those reasons are intrinsic to our being. They motivate us, drive us out to the track and the roads and the trails and yes, even the treadmill, over and over again, day in and day out. Maybe it's an addiction. But it's more than that - it's a lifestyle.

It's a damn good one. So cheers to runners everywhere, to realizing our physical potential, and to never getting stuck on an escalator.*

*The link works now!

13 Comments:

  • At 9:05 a.m., Blogger yumke said…

    I hear ya! I'm always the guy who will take the flights of steps at the subway while the rest of the population (and usually, it is) take the escalators. It's the inner runner in my busting to get out.. even when i'm wearing dress shoes, I take the steps by two... I wish it counted as hill training

     
  • At 10:14 a.m., Blogger L*I*S*A said…

    Yep, it's good to be this active. I'm still amazed at the transformation my body has gone through to get to this point.

     
  • At 3:05 p.m., Blogger Danielle said…

    Running in the rain is so amazing (provided it's warm in the air!!)...

    I hear you on the lazy people who have to push the darn button. It is meant for those that are handicapped, not the physically well!! I could go on and on about things like that and the way society is...great post.

     
  • At 5:02 p.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    At least you got some rain...I--am--soooooo- hoooooooottttttt!!

     
  • At 5:46 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Liv, you are certainly on point in this post! I see that all the time. And the people waiting impatiently for the elevator when there are stairs right next to it.

    Glad you got a good rainy run in!

     
  • At 6:36 p.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    I agree with you. It's SO sad. Being active is great and very rewarding too. Keep it up and enjoy the weather!!

     
  • At 6:59 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    What a nice post Liv :)

    And as runners I think we enjoy being alive in a better way, we love our bodies because of the wonders it makes you do!

     
  • At 8:04 p.m., Blogger Neese said…

    amen! well said! :)

    "...felt like a steamed dumpling" still has me cracking up though. lol

     
  • At 11:48 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    it *is* a lifestyle

    and yay for rain!

     
  • At 9:06 a.m., Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said…

    Liv,

    Great perspective.

    Yes, to us running is more than leisure. It's a lifestyle that allows us to balance healthy activity with the occasional indulgence.

    Maaaaaaan, I love this sport!

    Stay tuned...

     
  • At 5:52 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Now, if only rain dances worked for other things: Like money.

     
  • At 7:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the power of bloggers is amazing.

     
  • At 8:07 a.m., Blogger SRR said…

    It is great to be able to be active and fit. You're so right! :-)

    Now where is my t.v. remote???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home