Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A little pain, a little gain, a lot of lying around

If someone were instructed to give me a beating for every mile I've skipped in my half-marathon training plan, I'd be in for 15 and a half sound lashings. And that's just up until the point where I stopped counting. Good thing that threat of violence isn't my preferred method of motivation.

But what does motivate me? At the moment, not much. September 24th creeps ever closer, and I am a bum and a half. Or, should I say, I will be a bum in the half...

Was it a bad training plan? I'm pretty sure it was decent. Was I a bad girl? Oh, affirmative. I'm not quite sure why - although I've got a plethora of excuses: the humidity in the city. My busy work schedule. The rough terrain at the cottage. The fact that my cottage is on an island, and therefore I have to drive a boat to the mainland for every run, which makes it doubly hard to get le ass off le couch. The appeal of swimming in the lake and rowing on the lake as alternative forms of exercise - ones that don't carry the pressure of mileage and pace times, at least in my books.

Overall, it was not a productive vacation on the running front. But I did slog through a couple of toughies: a 9 miler one week and a 10 miler two weeks later. Finally, I feel as if I'm doing real long runs - I know it's all relative, but there you have it - I've crossed some sort of personal barrier and it feels good.

Not that the running always felt good. For my nine, I headed up an unfamiliar road, only to discover how literal that "up" really was. It was two steps forward, one step back on those slippery gravel slopes. By the end of the ordeal, I was cold and shaky, tight but unwilling to stretch, starving but the only food available at the time was cold french fries. Which are a totally repulsive food, and yet have never tasted as good as they did after that run - or felt so disgusting afterwards in my belly.

The ten was better - I learned to bring two gels with me and a whole lot more water, and to scootch back across the lake immediately afterwards for a good solid meal.(Ever drive a rickety outboard boat after a draining long run? You'd think the vibration is negligeable, but let me tell you, my knees sang me the saddest song in the world on that ride!) Oh, is ten miles ever long. And oh, it took me 1:55:32 to complete. That seems to me like an awfully long time to be running. Or perhaps shuffling would be the appropriate term. And the race is going to be longer, oh dear, a whole lot longer. But mercifully, much flatter. I'm counting on that, big time.

So it was sort of a running vacation. All in all, there were triumphs, yes, but heavily interspersed with guilty negligence. The running gods are not overly pleased with me. But I'm getting there, goddammit, slowly but surely - very slowly and almost surely - I'm getting there.

13 Comments:

  • At 7:34 a.m., Blogger Rice said…

    training plans are just like that hill. Two steps forward one back. In the end we get there.

    cheers.

    Rice.

     
  • At 1:53 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Most plans for a half make 10 the longest run before the race, so I don't think your training method sucked, sounds like it was right on target, and I bet your race will be awesome!

     
  • At 8:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go on the long runs. 10 miles is a long way, and you should feel proud! Don't beat yourself up over the missed miles. We do the best we can. In the end, you'll cross the finish even if you missed a few miles along the way!

     
  • At 10:04 p.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    You will get there. Let the guilt go...buh-bye!

     
  • At 11:40 p.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    A 10-mile run is most likely enough to be able to complete a half. Another 10-miler would make the half marathon a more comfortable one, but only if you can do it on the long weekend. Otherwise, just focus on being in one piece for race day.

     
  • At 3:59 p.m., Blogger Lance Notstrong said…

    Stick to it, there's alot of training days before Sept. 24 :-)

     
  • At 8:18 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    What? French fries can get cold? Who knew? Mine are gone so fast that I've never had that experience.

     
  • At 9:44 a.m., Blogger Gotta Run..... said…

    What I have learned with training plans it that you get what you put into it. Life happens and changes need to be made. If you miss a run then just refocus and get back on track the next day.

    To many misses will lead to injury though. Be careful and have fun!!!

    Robin

     
  • At 3:39 p.m., Blogger ! said…

    urgH I wish home wasn't so comfortable..then I would more excited about getting out. I wish phx wasn't so hot. I wish I wish..I wish I could 10 miles like you..Good job!. Keep it up :)

     
  • At 8:51 p.m., Blogger Neese said…

    i agree with lance september 24 is still a good chunk of days away :)

    welcome home!!

     
  • At 4:12 p.m., Blogger miss petite america said…

    mmmm french fries...

    the best part of a long run is the meal you eat after!

     
  • At 3:28 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    I hate training plans on vacation, they never work. Even on our last 3-day weekend, despite waking up early and staying in a house next to the park I managed to skip both runs (although x-trained lots). There, don't feel guilty, the 9 and 10 milers will get you to the finish.

     
  • At 10:58 p.m., Blogger carmen said…

    It's been awhile since the last post. How are you doing now, Liv?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home