Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Special delivery

Running is running - and it makes me happy even if I'm mindlessly looping a track. Still, it's nice to have somewhere particular in mind when you set out - a run with a goal is definitely the best kind. But be careful what you wish for. Because today, my dear runners, I boldy went where few have gone before: on a run. To the vet. With a vial of poo in my pocket.

Don't look again, you read that right. Perhaps I had better explain!

One of the joys of having a dog is having him get sick, which inevitably happens from time to time. Quincy, the canine in question, visited the vet yesterday with my mum, coming home with $125 worth of medication and an empty sterile vial. What to put in it? You guessed it.

Mum did the really dirty work (sample collection... eeew!), but SOMEONE had to be responsible for turning in the foul specimen. And SOMEONE just happened to want to go for a run today. SOMEONE's evil, lazy brother put two and two together - and thus yours truly became a messenger of stool.

Really, in practice, it wasn't so bad - the sample was hermetically sealed, and I put it in a brand new ziploc for good measure. And in my torso pack it travelled, from point A to B. The heroic delivery was made. The vet's aides probably got a good laugh.

I had a great run - an easy four miles in the rain. It felt great after all the heat we've been getting lately. It felt good to run AND be useful.

All the same, I'm going to wash out that torso pack before I put anything edible in it again. You know. Just for good measure.

10 Comments:

  • At 2:26 a.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    You are very brave to carry "poo" in your pocket. Good job!

     
  • At 3:50 a.m., Blogger ShoreTurtle said…

    Wow. You're in an elite group. I can't imagine that there are many runners who have done that.

    I'll keep that in mind the next time that my cat needs to go to the vet. I could put him in a backpack and go! I'm not sure about his stool sample.

     
  • At 9:45 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I have never combined those two things before and I am pretty sure I never will. You're hardcore!

     
  • At 10:18 a.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Mission accomplish, running is not only running then!

     
  • At 1:12 p.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    Way to consolodate your errands for the day.
    This is your second poo post in a month. Do I see a trend forming here?

     
  • At 1:39 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    You had a poo-run experience afterall! Just not the one you feared!

     
  • At 3:32 p.m., Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said…

    How about a new race event? It can be called the Pass the Poo Relay. You can recruit some of the more brave RBFs.

    Stay tuned...

     
  • At 5:12 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

     
  • At 11:13 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    what a shitty run! ;) aren't I punny?

    go ahead, groan...bad jokes are the best!

     
  • At 8:59 a.m., Blogger Amy said…

    The poo messenger....that's kinda gross, but you may be the only person who has ever done that...makes you kinda special :)

    I might consider doing the RBF Poo Relay though....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home