Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Speedy Gonzalez

Two words: speed intervals. My most dreaded and most loved workout at once. They are so hard, but they make me feel so proud. It's the one time in my training when I can really whip by all the other people on the track, and actually feel like I'm fast. As long as no one else is doing speed intervals, that is :)

Did reps of 800m yesterday and felt wiped but fantastic at the end. My current training program barely has any intervals scheduled at all, as it alternates them with tempo runs, with much more emphasis on tempo runs. I guess that's okay for a 10k, the tempos are probably more relevent. But for my next race, a 5k, I'm definitely stepping up the speedwork. This time around, it's all business, baby.

Today was just a 4k trot for recovery, but I received some serious motivation en route: I was at the Athletic Centre at the same time as the track team (well, I often am, as they seem to live there!), and this bunch of girls were doing really fast intervals, all in their sports bras and teeny tiny spandex shorts. Now, I really don't mean to stare, but my gawd, I want to have abs like these girls. The long legs and the skinny arms I know are beyond my genetics, but those tummies - if it's even appropriate to call them that - man, I could do with one of those. You could wash clothes on them. If your washing machine was broken.

How do they get that way!? I know, I know, I know. Nothing for it I guess but to run, run, and run some more. Oh... and maybe do a little ab work too ;)

7 Comments:

  • At 11:56 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Luckily, no track teams on the track when we are there, so now six-packs in sight. Except for the gatorade six-packs! Speedwork always pays off, doesn't it?

     
  • At 2:48 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    And how about food, it is the hardest!! Harder to accomplish day by day evry single hour of the day, sigh.

    Nice feeling of being fast Liv, bet you are!!

     
  • At 3:19 p.m., Blogger Gotta Run..... said…

    I am the worst about track / speed workouts. I just hate them. Need to change my ways or I will never really see improvement in my pace. As for the abs, I hate these girls and I never have even met them. :-)

     
  • At 3:43 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    abs...that's what I want! I've managed to do ab workouts for two weeks in a row, hopefully I can form a habit?

     
  • At 3:45 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    abs...that's what I want! I've managed to do ab workouts for two weeks in a row, hopefully I can form a habit?

     
  • At 1:36 a.m., Blogger Liv said…

    Runner chic - I can't find your blog, I want to come visit you...!

    Hope you read this and can direct me... (or if anyone else knows where to find this mysterious lady...)

     
  • At 1:44 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Why do I always feel like the oddball here amongst a bunch of women? Thank you Liv for letting me crash your blog and comment about track chics with washboard abs. I can tell you I long after them as well, but I fear that I may never have a six-pack besides the ones in my fridge. I love to eat, drink and be merry too much for a flat stomach. You, however, can do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home