Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Food issues

Keeping food around is such a delicate balance. As a student with a generally icky meal plan, I find it particularly difficult to eat well and not waste things. Our cafeteria serves us such gianormous portions, and I've often felt compelled to eat them all so as not to waste them - never mind that they're at least three times the amount of food I should be eating, and loaded with ten times more cooking oils than any human in their right mind would consume in a week.

No wonder I've been gaining weight - wow, how long did that take to dawn on me. Guess I'm slow in departments besides running! Luckily, I have become wiser in my old age, and I'm now buying healthy groceries every week, coupled with saving cafeteria portions in tupperwares for two or three meals worth of consumption. This is doubly productive, because as it's near the end of the school year I'm running short on meal plan money anyway.

Now though, I'm faced with the dilemma of too much food in my fridge. I have leftovers coming out my ears! If I don't eat them within a short time, they'll go bad. If I do eat them, I'll resume my ascent into cowlike proportions. Nobody wants to help me eat them - they've mostly got the same problem. I hate throwing out food, especially since my stupid residence doesn't have composting - but I also hate gaining weight. I really have to get better at this leftover management business.

Some days, I just wish I could hook myself up to an IV and pump all the nutrients I need directly into my bloodstream. Food can just be too much of a hassle. Give me a banana bag any day, baby.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:00 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    Awww, food!!! And not throwing out left-overs!!!
    Don't even start with me:)

     
  • At 4:04 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Oh, the advantages of having teenage boys in the house! Never a problem around here. Between my husband and son, they'll clean anything out. Plus, our older son dropped by yesterday for a visit and managed to wipe out a few items on his own! Since he moved out I have had to learn to cut down a little on the amounts I cook - I grew up in a big family and have always cooked large amounts anyway, so now I'm trying to cut them down to reasonable sizes.

     
  • At 5:25 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    I'm with Olga...

    Totally understand what you mean, my worst times are around PMS, keep shoving all the chocolate into my mouth..even potato chips..the salt, yum! ok, blah!

     
  • At 6:54 p.m., Blogger Amy said…

    I'll send my boyfriend your way...he refuses to throw anything out. I have even caught him eating month old chicken...he's got a stomach of steel I guess. It is just mind boggling....

     
  • At 10:23 a.m., Blogger Jess said…

    When I first started college, I ate nothing but Lucky Charms because I had never been allowed the sugary cereal growing up. It took a couple months, but I soon realized my mother had denied me all those refined carbs -- now I can't even look at a marshmallow-shaped horseshoe without feeling a little sick to my stomach.

     
  • At 12:51 p.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    Kudos to you for saving stuff. I, on the other hand, save the leftovers and RARELY eat them. It's a really bad habit in our household. :sigh:

    Good for you on puchasing healthier options though. I find that a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter go a long way in my home. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home