Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Technologically deprived human popsicle seeks wisdom and advice

Ah, the long weekend. What better time to go home, mooch off the parents' hospitality, and in general be a bum? Unfortunately, the concession I made to being home was being without the internet - in my archaic household, if I don't bring my laptop with me and hook it up to the phone line, all ties with the outside world are severed...! Funny, I've been so addicted to blogging lately, that I catch myself composing entries in my head even as I'm out running, and it's strange to return and realize that I'm lacking the technology to set them down! However, I shall do my best to summarize my running thoughts of the past couple of days.

I logged 28k this week, my farthest ever, and overall it's been a weekend of firsts, in terms of running. The first time I ran 12k all on pavement (more interesting than the track, but definitely more ouchy). The first time I got molested by an unleashed dog on said run. The first time I attempted the elusive technique of 'snot rocket' expulsion on the go (let's just say, I'd be better off carrying kleenex!) And the first time I decided to try having an 'ice bath' to soothe my sore muscles, before jumping into a hot shower.

So this ice bath thing, is this for real? I read in RW that it's a good idea, that lots of athletes do it in order to reduce inflammation in their legs. Oh, really. Tell me how any human being with even a smattering of skin temperature nerves can possibly immerse even half of themselves in frigid water for more than 20 seconds at a time - because I sure couldn't. It was too painful to even scream! After I emerged from a few tentative dips, I gave up, took a very relieving hot shower, and swore that muscle pain was nothing compared with this absurd ritual of self-refrigeration.

Except... of course there has to be an 'except': my legs felt great the next day! No stiffness or soreness at all, except for in my hip, which I am sure had everything to do with running on the road and nothing to do with normal muscle aches. So now, I am torn - was it worth the agony, after all?

Maybe I just wasn't doing it right. Now that I think about it, RW never specified the temperature of the water you're supposed to dump ice into - I assumed it might as well be cold, but maybe I'm wrong: maybe you're supposed to start with lukewarm water, and gradually cool it off with ice. Or maybe I should just modify the technique and take cool baths rather than an icy one. Or maybe I'm just a wuss, and turning one's lower body into a popsicle is just one of the perks of being a true athlete.

Anyone have advice on the subject? My ignorance is crying out!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:12 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Liv, I haven't tried the "ice" bath, but I have set the shower on the coldest setting and let it pound on my calves. It always seemed to help. My husband swears by ice baths - he ran two marathons in two days at Lake Tahoe and sat in the lake after each. At home, he's sat in a cold bath - I don't think he's added the ice cubes, but again, just uses the coldest setting. And he says it's horrible, but it does help. Another friend, bundles up on top, gets hot tea, then takes the ice bath. Anyway, they both swear by it.

     
  • At 5:30 p.m., Blogger mouse said…

    I used to take ice baths too. now I don't have a bathtub (besides roommate's which I don't like dirtying up with my sweaty postrun self) and I miss them.

    If you can handle them then they're a good thing to relieve post run soreness...I've always found them helpful after 18+ miles.

     
  • At 6:24 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    oooh, sounds too cold, never taken an ice bath so I'm all ears too. I have several times dipped my feet into bucket of ice water for my shin-splints..yes it made me cringe!

    Great job on your longest run!

    Yes, the snot-rocket takes practice to master! :)

     
  • At 10:52 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I can tell you they are a lifesaver at times, but can be very painful initially. The coldest one I have probably done is after a 50K in February when the temps were in the 30's and I walked into the lake right after I finished up to my waist and stayed there for about 10 minutes. The initial shock takes awhile to get used to, but it really does work wonders. I have also done cold water in the bathtub and then dump a couple of bags on top of my legs once I am in. I suppose it is a little bit masochistic.

     
  • At 1:31 a.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    They're very helpful, although it's very, very hard to do the first time. I'd suggest it's only worth the time and effort if you're actually hurting.

    More importantly, while you're getting into all the fancy stuff, don't ignore the easiest thing you can do to help your body recover: sleep. It's also probably the most enjoyable.

     
  • At 3:07 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    Ah.. ice baths... I tried that few times. What worked for me was to get in the tub before the water started and then let the cold water come. After it was full enough I dumped the ice in. Don't get me wrong. I shivered - a lot! But I did manage a fair amount of time doing this twice. However, after a 15 mile run and no ice bath and little muscle soreness I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

    I do a compromise now. Epsom salts are also supposed to be good for sore muscles. So I take a "cool" bath (not cold!) and dump in some epsom salt. Much better than shivering myself silly for what appears to be little benefit!

     
  • At 3:33 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    ice baths = AWESOME

    I took a dip in my mom's unheated jacuzzi the evening of my 50k, and it hurt SO bad to get in, I was crying. But it helped so much.

     
  • At 11:28 a.m., Blogger Gotta Run..... said…

    Well I see you came across the same article in RW this past month. I also attempted to do the ice thing. To my surprise I kindof liked it. Whether or not it helped one only knows. I used it following a 10 mile run and still had pretty good legs cramps to follow. try it again.. this time ease into it. You may have has too much ice.

    Loved the snot rocket story. Sometimes the launch is not always the best.

    Robin

     
  • At 4:24 p.m., Blogger Joyce said…

    i read that same artice too... i'm interested now that everyone is saying so many good things about it, i might just have to give it a whirl!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home