Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Girl-O-Meter

Okay, so I am a girl, I hope that much is obvious. But how girly a girl, exactly? I ask as I ponder the following issues.

#1: I am a girl who ran in a skirt. Eek. That's pretty girly. But I've been so intrigued by all the (mostly female) bloggers raving about running skirts, that I became just too curious and had to try it out. Being too much of a cheapo to buy one of those admittedly expensive running skirts without a - excuse the pun - trial run, I decided to test the waters by wearing the closest thing I own, a cute little mesh skirt which more or less fits the bill, and although is by no means technical wear, looks the part. Shamefully, it comes from the U of T bookstore - oh woe is me for supporting that monstrous institution, but the skirt is just too cute!

The verdict? With lots of Bodyglide (my new best friend) to make up for the shortcomings of both the fabric and the shape of my thighs, I have to say, the experience was a good one. I may buy into this phenomena yet. So ladies... any recommendations on good brands?

While we're on the subject, I have a recommendation of my own: do NOT attempt sprint repeats while wearing a skirt. It is not a pretty sight. Unless you are wearing very pretty panties. Which I, unfortunately, was not, during a very risque set of 100m intervals! ACK! Let's just say, Marilyn did it with more class.

#2: This has nothing to do with running, but everything to do with the definition of "girly". My name is Olivia, and I am an Amazon junkie. There, I said it - *applause*. My latest order came in the mail this week, much to my delight. The contents? "The complete book of sewing" and "Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance".

I looked at the two of them lying there in the same package and burst out laughing. Am I a little seamstress? Am I a harcore cycling chick? Am I... could I be... both? Is THAT girly?

So be it. I am learning to sew. To repair my bike. To run - in all sorts of apparel. To be an athletic undomesticated multitalented girly girl - whatever that really means.

14 Comments:

  • At 2:03 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOVED your post!

    On the running skirt issue, I love mine. The only time I have run in anything else all summer is for my long runs. I'm a little concerend about the rubbing of my thighs issue and haven't been quite brave enough to test out the skirt in anything over 5 miles. The ones I own are cheapies from Walmart, I like them, but no pockets.

    I think it is fabulous that you are into so many things. It's great that we don't have to be so "defined" these days. That we can run, and sew, and repair a bike. It's great! You go girl.

     
  • At 2:34 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I am happy to say that I cannot comment on the running skirt except that us "guys" enjoy the motivation of seeing you "girly girls" wearing them. Sexist? I suppose, but tis the truth.

     
  • At 9:11 a.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    Skirt sports. com has a bunch of cute colors and their skirts have ipod pockets, which is too cool. Another website to try is runningskirts.com. They actually just added a bunch of new colors and are slightly cheaper than the skirt sports website. Good luck.

     
  • At 10:10 a.m., Blogger carmen said…

    I haven't seen anyone around here running in a skirt and this is practically sorority central too! Are the comfortable to run in?? (besides the undies issue) lol

     
  • At 11:31 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Liv,
    I like my running skirt - it was good for a short one, but the shorts underneath rode up and bugged me. I love it for post-run coffee though. I didn't buy a specific "running" skirt - I bought one that was for active sports. I am hoping one that specified running might not have the shorts problem.

    As for your books - that shows a well-rounded personality!

     
  • At 11:42 a.m., Blogger mouse said…

    oh man. I've got info for ya. (you know I love my skirts).

    I have one from both skirtsports.com and runningskirts.com. I also have one from Walmart. sizing is wonky on all of them, fyi.

    the skirtsports one and the runningskirts one are just about on par with each other. I like the skirtsports one a bit better because I feel like it fits better, and the material is a little bit lighter, so it "flows" more than the other one, and is just a tad more comfortable because of that. but, the runningskirts one is also very nice, and has the advantage that I don't feel like the "spankies" (or whatever they're called) underneath stay in place a little bit better. this may juse be because I bought a large in the skirtsports brand so it's a bit looser.

    I have noticed that the fabric on the runningskirts.com one has snagged slightly (not that big of a deal) and the washing directions (which are printed directly onto the fabric on the inside of the skirt) are flaking off. it makes me wonder if the big honking logo that they put on the front of the skirt is going to come off next. The printing on the skirtsports one has not come off at all, so I think the extra $$ that you pay for it may come in the quality of the material, but who knows?

    the skirt from walmart has shorts underneath instead of the underwear-like spankies. but, the shorts are a cotton (read: not so great at wicking) material, and fit a bit loosely (for me, at least), a bad combo. I did a 10 miler in it and was ok, but would be hesitent to go any further without some extra bodyglide to reapply, for fear of chafing. the upside is that it was > $10. for me this is more of an "I want to look cute and wear a skirt" thing, rather than a "a skirt is more functional, so I wear it" type of thing. I have NEVER had a chafing problem with either of the other two skirts (with the help of some bodyglide).

    sorry this is so long. hope the info helps.

     
  • At 1:06 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    You go girl!

     
  • At 2:42 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    I think feminism has provided women with a wide range of ways to define themselves, so you don't have to fret over how feminine or unfeminine you are (or how you think others might perceive you).

    Like Runnergirl notes, you can enjoy a range of activities and no one is going to pigeonhole you.

     
  • At 2:44 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Oh, one last thing: My stock phrase for anyone who questions me on what I like to do or want to do is: "I do what I want." But you have to say with attitude. I use it on my husband all the time.

     
  • At 3:38 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    I'll tell you not only that you are learning... You are writing very well, love your style!!

    Haven't try them and don't think I will, I am already in a disguise using my back pack... Now with skirt....

     
  • At 6:04 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    "To be an athletic undomesticated multitalented girly girl"

    i LOVE it. that needs to be the tagline under your blog name :)

    I love to sew.

     
  • At 6:52 p.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    I have a runner skirt. I don't wear it much - almost never.

     
  • At 10:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You make me laugh.
    I pondered the skirt thing myself for quite awhile and decieded against it so no help from me. I'm sticking with shorts.

     
  • At 12:45 a.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    That post was awesome! I don't think learning to fix your bike is very girly girl, but running in a skirt probably qualifies :) I have heard rave reviews about the nike one but that is because I work there. They sold out in like a week. I know there are some other good brands out there though. Good luck :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home