Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Monday, June 12, 2006

She's a rebel

Garmin, that is. Look, just look what she told me today:

Mile 1: 10:31
Mile 2: 10:34
Mile 3: 16:14
Mile 4: 10:52
Mile 5: 10:53
Mile 6: 10:20
Mile 7: 9:51

So what happened on mile 3, I hear you ask? No, I did not take a walk break. Here's the story: I was running happily along a park path, when I came to the road. So, I decided to turn around and backtrack along the route I had just come. A few moments later, I glanced at Garmin, and thought: that's funny, I could have sworn I already passed that distance. I kept looking, and sure enough, Garmin was counting BACKWARDS!

I ran back to the road and tried to do a little loop-de-loop that would set her right. Not happening. I did a bigger loop. Same deal. Obviously, satellites are tempermental entities. And/or extremely devious. I was running back and forth, getting totally annoyed, when it finally occurred to me to stop and restart the timer. Bingo. Back in action - a "16-minute mile" later. Yeesh.

I'm counting it as 7.5 miles.

Electronic histrionics aside, it was a lovely, lovely run. Gorgeous, sunny, but not too hot; I had Gatorade and a carb gel in my brand new torso pack, which I ordered from a Vector box for $4.99, and it's worth $30, thank you very much! I'm a big fan of the pack, and an even bigger fan of the gel - why haven't I tried this before? It was such a great boost - I came home feeling elated, energized, and not like I had to eat everything in sight or die on the spot! The only blooper of the day was the socks - I had originally only planned a 3-4 mile recovery run, and was wearing cotton sport socks, instead of the high-tech ones I save for longer runs. Oops. My toesies have had happier days.

By far, however, the greatest discovery of the day was an itty-bitty street on the way to the park: it's called "Marathon Court". How cool is that? So I ran it. I ran a marathon. Ha, ha.

But I'll do a real one too, I swear, with you all as my witnesses. Some day.

13 Comments:

  • At 5:26 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Garmin is temperamental, but useful to have nonetheless.

    If you ran up and down that street would you have technically done an ultramarathon?

     
  • At 8:52 a.m., Blogger Olga said…

    Oh, relax, leave the Gramin at home, or you get preoccupied more with numbers than run itself:) Let it screw up someone else. Take it out once a week...

     
  • At 10:10 a.m., Blogger Jess said…

    I hear about these Garmin creatures acting up. I'd go with the 7.5 count as well -- good job!

     
  • At 11:30 a.m., Blogger carmen said…

    Technology...it can be your best friend or your downright worst pain in your side. hehe

    I've been thinking of getting a Garmin but the snooty runner side of me says I'm not deserving until after I run my first marathon. :(

    Yeah, she's pretty mean.

     
  • At 12:31 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    Nice run! I guess your lungs were okay on that one?

     
  • At 12:45 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Nice to have a good run after the hard one, isn't it? I think you should move to Marathon Court - cool address!

     
  • At 12:59 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Nice to hear you use the pack for a 6 miles run. I use it all the time as the gel... still the difference is pace... mmmm

     
  • At 3:03 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    One of these things is not like the other... that lap was definitely out of place :)

    ha - too funny about running a marathon!

     
  • At 3:44 p.m., Blogger SRR said…

    Great consistant times!

    Are you happy with your Garmin?

     
  • At 5:14 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    Hmmm, I cannot bring myself to buy me one of those toys. My hubby once mentioned it about gift, but the evil me stopped him! Right now, I'm alright without a garmin.

    Nice run!

     
  • At 9:11 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice run even though you were running the mileage backwards for awhile. Or maybe you were running so fast you were turning back time.

     
  • At 9:56 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is why I don't use technology - I would be so angry.

     
  • At 7:21 p.m., Blogger Amy said…

    Or you could just say the you ran two 8 min miles, right? Add that to running a marathon in the same day and you will be super cool :)

    I too would love to live on Marathon Court. Or Life Highway. Either one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home