Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Something to talk about

As I continue to (slowly) catch up on my much-neglected blog reading, I'm noticing an interesting trend among the RBF-ers. Everyone's talking about it, it seems. Poo, that is.

How many horrible running misadventures stem from that bane of human existance, the intestinal tract? Far worse than sore muscles or humid weather, the call of nature can detract from the enjoyment of a run like nothing else can. When you've gotta go, as they say, you've gotta go.

I thought it was just me who's had to waddle through a final mile, cursing my anatomy and doing clenching exercises which were decidedly not on the workout program. Or who's considered (but never conceded to) bagging a run because of - ahem - the runs (okay, I know, we all do this joke!) But that was very egotistical of me. Now I see that we all share in this woeful of woes. Kinda gives you a weird sense of community, doesn't it?

No, in case you're wondering, I don't have a dramatic poo story to share with you today. Nothing beyond ordinary grumblings and rumblings. I hope I haven't cursed myself by saying that... knock on wood and all. I just wanted to be one of the cool kids, and talk about *it* too.

13 Comments:

  • At 8:48 a.m., Blogger Amy said…

    Dangit! I was hoping for a poo story!!!!

     
  • At 10:58 a.m., Blogger Joe said…

    Poo always makes for good conversation. I love potty humour.

     
  • At 11:52 a.m., Blogger Rice said…

    There is a cool kids book "everybody poops". Unfortunately it has become so taboo to talk about it that, I think a lot of people don’t know what normal is for having movements. Hmmm maybe an idea for a educational post.. will have to do some research..

    Cheers.

    Rice.

     
  • At 12:56 p.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    In our house we affectionately call them the "runners trots."

     
  • At 3:26 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    Well I wasn't talking about poo. but since you brought it up.... :) What a pain in the behind it can be. hehe... It's gotten a lot better for me but used to be a big problem (runners trots). I have had to *ahem* find a place to go on a run 2 times that I can remember! If I can I try to find routes that have some better options than a bush - like a porta-potty :)

     
  • At 5:33 p.m., Blogger SRR said…

    Either I'm skimming, or we're not reading the same blogs! :-)

     
  • At 6:10 p.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    That's so funny that bring up poo. I have that problem myself, but happens within 30 minutes sometimes AFTER I finish.

     
  • At 8:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah if only I ran in the country this would never be a problem. Even though I did pee in Lincoln Park during the marathon in 2004.

     
  • At 2:54 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Wanting to feel "in" by talking about sh*t? Poo on you! ;)

     
  • At 1:39 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Yes, I guess the bummer stickers are right: Shit Happens. And it doesn't wait until you're done with your run. Just wait. It will find you; be patient, but be wary.

    Make certain you have some gas stations or shady areas plotted out on your routes. If I hadn't had that gas station a while ago, I don't know what would've happened!

     
  • At 11:40 a.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Great that Liv is back on the radar and congratulations for the 10 pounds lost, I am so jealous!!

     
  • At 4:14 p.m., Blogger carmen said…

    I think it's safe to say that I'm having Liv withdrawals. Come back!!

     
  • At 9:30 a.m., Blogger Lance Notstrong said…

    Weird what endurance athletes will talk about that are considered normal. I always laugh when people start talking about how hydrated they are......and you know how they can tell :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home