Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Speed demon

It is against my better judgement that I share this incredibly flattering shot of me post-tempo run yesterday. I'm Canadian, guys, I melt in the heat...

However. That little matter aside, no heat nor germs could keep me from my speedwork this week. Cold? What cold? I outran it!

Yesterday was a nice even 4-mile tempo, and I managed to keep a 9:39 average, although I may have been seeing mirages by the end of it. The heat run was inevitable yesterday, as I had to work a night shift, but today I was able to wait until after dark to hit the streets for a sweet session of 4x800m. Ah, I love evening runs for so many reasons: I hate waking up early, and with my shift schedule, it's usually out of the question anyway; it's also dark and therefore relatively cooler, I don't have to put on sunscreen, and (most importantly!) I feel I can get away with wearing only a sports bra and spandex shorts without blinding the world in general. Okay, so I'm a skank, but I like to feel nearly naked when I'm running - it's so pleasant and light and breezy. Less laundry, too.

The abs to match the outfit are in the works. They're in there somewhere. Honest.

15 Comments:

  • At 2:02 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    "Less laundry too" - hee hee!

    Good work on the running. Drink lots!

     
  • At 9:50 a.m., Blogger L*I*S*A said…

    I'm with you on the amount of clothing. It's only now that I've lost weight that I feel confident enought to sometimes shed the singlet. ;)

    Great job on the speedwork. That cold is going to be running scared!

     
  • At 9:58 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are speedy. Way to go.

     
  • At 12:30 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I used to run at night all the time and loved it. Except of course when the strange noises in the bushes would scare me and I would have to run home as fast as I could. It's my own version of speedwork.

    Keep it up speedy.

     
  • At 2:26 p.m., Blogger carmen said…

    You're so hilarious Liv. I don't have the guts to run "skanky". haha I get flustered by the honks or yelps by passerbys and then angered--which is precisely why I like to jog at dusk or night too.

    Yay for 4 miles!

     
  • At 6:05 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    those abs will come out soon I'm sure!

    9:39, a number I dream of...

     
  • At 8:44 p.m., Blogger Rice said…

    I'm with ya. I hate running in the heat. I would take the cold any day. But the one thing about running in the heat is that I do push myself more just for the challenge. have to keep hunting that demand.

    Cheers.

    Rice.

    PS. Great work on the speed work.

     
  • At 9:31 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    When you find your abs let me know how you did it so I can get in line :)

     
  • At 12:55 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Did you use the camel?

    The bad part of going on the evening for me is that I can't sleep very well, lots of adrenaline I thin.

     
  • At 12:57 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    k :S

    I am not canadian and end worst than you... if you could only see me....

     
  • At 8:55 p.m., Blogger SRR said…

    Oh Honey...nearly naked is always a plus!

     
  • At 12:56 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    Wow. You've got the eye of the tiger in that photo.

     
  • At 1:29 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    Oh, I love early morning runs, when everything is fresh and the rest of my surroundings is waking up.

    Nice workout! Those 800's will surely bring you more speed.

     
  • At 9:49 a.m., Blogger Jess said…

    I am starting to feel the smae way about night runs -- nice and cool, feel free in the bra and shorts, good end to the day, etc.

     
  • At 9:52 a.m., Blogger Amy said…

    Yeah for running skanky!

    Great job on the speedwork.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home