Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Friday, July 14, 2006

5k, you say?

Marty left this comment on my previous entry: "Oh yeah, I almost forgot, good luck in your race tomorrow." Thanks, Marty, and here's the funny thing - I almost forgot too. Seriously.

It's sooooo weird - for all my previous races, I have been so psyched up, giddy with anticipation, raring to go. And I was like that for this one too - about two weeks ago. Then, somehow, life began to swirl around me so fast that I lost my running focus. I lost my blogging focus too! Not in a bad way at all - I've just been so crazy busy, that my usual obsession with running took a backseat for a while to other aspects of my life. And they say this is my summer vacation? I swear I have more free time while I'm in school :)

Nevertheless, I DID remember that I have a race tomorrow, and that I will also have to pick up my packet before start time, because I don't even have my number yet. Yeesh - maybe that's why I feel out of the loop - there's no little paper bib up on my bulletin board as there normally would be the night before race day, beckoning to me, counting down the hours with me.

Am I ready? I don't feel like I am. I trained really hard for a solid four weeks, but then let the rest of the plan slide into the dumpster. I told Michael I was "tapering" - but who ever heard of a two-week taper for a 5k?! That's just pushing the boundaries of laziness. But there you have it - I am so well-rested it hurts :)

Here are my goals, because hell, I might as well have some:

doable - PR (less than 28:45)
possible - under 28 min
I would do a victory dance of joy naked in the rain and I can say that because it's unlikely to happen- 27 min

I do confess that, beyond a PR, there is one thing I would really love to do during this race, and that is kick Michael's ass. In a friendly, I-wanna-run-faster-than-you way, of course :) Michael, to fill you in, is he formerly known as "the bf" formerly known as "the ex" currently known as "I-don't-know-what-the-hell-the-status-of-our-relationship-is-but-it's-good-so-I'll-take-it"... so, since that is awfully complicated, he will henceforth be blessed with the privilege of being referred to by name in my interminable ramblings. To wit, Michael is a boy, blessed with boy genes, and even though he has run about once in the past two months and gets 4 hours of sleep a night because he rows at the crack of dawn and will be biking for over an hour just to GET to the race, he will no doubt leave me eating his dust.

But that won't stop me from chasing, as fast as I possibly can.

13 Comments:

  • At 12:56 a.m., Blogger yumke said…

    I always figured there were more RFBers in Toronto. Good luck! I'm running the same race.

     
  • At 1:11 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Good luck. Kick some a$$!

     
  • At 1:52 a.m., Blogger carmen said…

    Good luck and run that baby hard. Warm up really well and then kick some butt! I think after a rest like the 2-weeker, you're bound to set a new PR. :)

     
  • At 5:51 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with the race! I'm sure that you will do great! And good luck beating the guy. Trust me, I know how that goes!

    Can I claim that I've been tapering for the past few days? Even if I don't have anything upcoming on my race schedule?

    I probably should just admit to the laziness!

     
  • At 9:26 a.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    Kick his a$$ girl. Maybe he'll be tired from the biking and you can catch him???

     
  • At 10:54 a.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    What a difference a minute can make, incredible.

    Defeat yourself first, don't think of boys genes, still you will pass many of them :D!!

    Good luck enjoy, you are a fast girl!!

     
  • At 11:12 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Wear your cutest running clothes - a running skirt? - and kick it in. He'll be so dazed by your incredible cuteness that he'll be at the start line with his jaw hanging open...while you are out of there like a flash. Good luck!

     
  • At 12:01 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    OK, now that I caught up on your blog, I have to say - running skirt is cute (but I never tried one), Michael is going to loose no matter what time he finishes because you will rock on with a smile, you are girly and be proud!, and yay for 10 lbs lighter!!!

     
  • At 12:48 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    good luck, have fun!

     
  • At 1:01 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    Actually, I have heard of training plans with two week tapers for 5K races; it's not common but I have seen it. Furthermore, I had an unplanned two week "taper" before my last 10K race and, as you my have read in my blog, I achieved a PR. You never know, it might work for you.

    As for your friend Michael...kick his ass, Seabass!

     
  • At 3:29 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    haha.. I hope for your sake you don't beat 27 minutes then.. but of course it is "Possible". Good luck and have fun!

     
  • At 4:43 p.m., Blogger SRR said…

    "I would do a victory dance of joy naked in the rain and I can say that because it's unlikely to happen- 27 min" Can you videotape this and post it, please?

    You will do awesome!!! Sending you postive vibes, Liv!!!

     
  • At 5:43 p.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    Good luck tommorow. Burn up the asphalt.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home