Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Got a plan, stan

Okay, at long last... running time.

Went for a good 4-miler this afternoon - it was intended as an easy run, but I pushed it just a smidge and ended up with 10:06 pace, which is somewhere between "easy" and "tempo" for me. Felt good to be on my feet and getting into a rhythm again. Mmmm running - life's simple pleasure.

So after struggling to work out a precise training plan around my hectic night shift schedule, I decided that the best way to proceed is to define what workouts need to be accomplished each week, but allow the actual days to be flexible. That way, I don't have to feel bad about missing days and making them up - as long as I get in my quota by the end of the week.

The plan is ambitious in terms of quality workouts, but since in all likelihood they will be my only runs for the week, with perhaps an easy 3-4 miler tossed in when possible, I don't think it will injure me as long as I warm up and stretch properly. Plus, it calls for less than six weeks of training, as July 14th is quickly approaching - there won't be time for burnout!

So here is my homemade plan, drawing heavily on the wisdom of multiple ready-made schedules:

Key workouts: Speedwork/Tempo/Long Run
June 4-10: 6x400m/3 miles/ --- (the week is half over, after all!)
June 11-17: 4x800m/4 miles/7 miles
June 18-24: 2x1200m/4 miles/8 miles
June 25-July 1: 10x200m/5 miles/8 miles
July 2-8: 6x400m/4 miles/9 miles (longest run ever!)
July 9-: Taper week: one 3 mile tempo & 2 easy runs
July 14: RACE DAY!

I'm adding 1 easy run per week whenever my time permits, as well as 1-2 crosstraining sessions (most likely biking), and 2 core workouts.

See what I get for reading a zillion American blogs - I'm counting in miles! Sheesh :) I guess I just like per-mile paces better than per-km. They seem more solid, somehow. But never fear, when the distances go up on my sidebar, they will be in kilometers: after all, that way, there are more of them :)

3 Comments:

  • At 1:48 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    I also count in miles! Sometimes I even spell American just to humor them folks.

    I like homemade schedules - more fun that way!

     
  • At 10:42 a.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    But because are more, in my mind is easier to run 12 miles than 19.32km, donĀ“t you think?

    Yes, nothing compares to running!

     
  • At 12:55 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    > I don't think it will injure me as
    > long as I warm up and stretch
    > properly.

    You've also got your young age on your side! I wish I could be your age again!

    > Plus, it calls for less than six weeks of training,
    > as July 14th is quickly approaching -
    > there won't be time for burnout!

    You're doing a 5K race, right? Six weeks should be ample time to get ready. You're gonna kick some butt!

    > See what I get for reading a zillion
    > American blogs - I'm counting in miles!

    Be careful not to lose touch with the KMs though! Some races around here (e.g. The Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon) only mark checkpoints in KMs, not miles. :-(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home