Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Switching Gears

Now that my 10k is over, I should really get focused on my next big event. Nope, this time I'm not running - it's the Ride for Heart, a huge fundraiser for the Heart and Stroke Foundation, where you get to bike along a couple of Toronto's major highways. Which is soooo much fun. But this year, I've been suckered. My teammates voted, and I grudgingly accepted, that this year we tackle not the 50k, as before, but the 75k route.

Eek! I've NEVER biked that far in my life - not in one day, let alone in one stretch. So even though I'm doing this strictly as a charity event, not as a race per se, I feel as though I ought to be training for it a bit, just to make sure I can actually get to the finish alive.

I'm making provisions - I bought some thinner tires to replace the monstrous ones I currently ride on, in the hopes that the decreased resistance will make me somewhat faster and marginally less tired. No pun intended. But here's the problem: I know nothing about bike mechanics. I'm hopeless. It took me about 45 minutes to change the front tire today, and by the time I had finished, I was so worn out by the whole experience that I packed it up and resolved to finish tomorrow. So my bike is currently sitting woefully in the basement, one tire thin, one tire thick, and my brake alignment completely out of whack (great... one more thing to figure out.)

Needless to say, the plan to start biking today was scrapped in favour of a run. A gorgeous and highly enjoyable run, mind you... but I wonder: will I be ready for this 75k? Seriously, at this rate, who knows when I will put my bike together well enough that I can safely ride it again.

Sigh. This is why I love running. It's so forgiving to the mechanically challenged.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:10 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    I prefer running to biking, largely because I feel I get more of a workout in a shorter space of time.

    Where do we sign up to donate? Complete the 75K, I'll Paypal you. There's your challenge.

     
  • At 11:27 a.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    Good luck with your bike race!! You can totally kick 75K's butt.

     
  • At 11:37 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    I'm totally with you on the mechanics thing. The thought of being out on a ride, and getting a flat, or even the chain coming off, does me in! Running is so easy!

     
  • At 11:52 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    You need someone else to fix your bike up for you. That's why I stay away from bikes. I can't fix them or prepare them either. No mechanical capabilitites over here.

     
  • At 12:26 p.m., Blogger Lennard said…

    Hmmm, maybe that's why I like running! Since I can't do anything mechanical. I struggled to get my daugthers training wheels on let alone a tire!

     
  • At 1:33 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    I love running but I am enjoying a lot the bike! Enjoying the bike in an event like this should be so fun... can I go? :-(

    Still I'd feel very nervous riding among many others, how is the feeling??

     
  • At 12:07 p.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    You can do it!! Bikes totally scare the crap outta me, so I admire you on this effort!

     
  • At 4:05 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    Liv, that's so cool. Once you get your bike all ready to go, you'll be in business.
    My friends have been trying to get into biking too but it's so sad I can barely make it up a hill, don't really do the gear changes correctly.

     
  • At 4:56 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    Yes running is so simple! throw on a pair of shoes and you're out the door. And some people don't even wear shoes. The beauty in the simple things...

     
  • At 12:05 a.m., Blogger Olga said…

    As long as your butt can sit that long you'll do fine! But I wouldn't try - spin classes are hard enough for me, and on top of it I am scared of bikes:) Best of luck!!

     
  • At 3:31 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    whew, good luck! i can't bike, it hurts waaaay to much. blech.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home