Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Number slave

Well, Garmin is very exciting... so much so that I'm beginning to think I am too excited... I took it (him? her?) for a run yesterday, and honest-to-god couldn't keep my eyes off the screen for more than a minute. It's just so fascinating. Overall it works quite well, but of course isn't perfectly accurate and at one point under some trees it told me I was running 18 minute miles. Um, no.

I think I'm in danger of being a serious number slave. I mean, I need to relax, because it gives a pretty average overall pace, I think - I'll have to experiment a bit on my pre-mesured routes and see how they compare. But I was so pissed when it was off. Ack. I really need to learn the beauty of estimation when it comes to running. And remember to sometimes take off all the fancy toys and just run for the sake of it, for the feeling and nothing else.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:20 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    It's funny to watch when three different people have Garmins (or something similar) and run the same route on the same day at the same time, and all three end up with different total mileage and different elevation gain :)

     
  • At 1:37 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Sometimes it's useful to chart your progress using the numbers, but don't get too hung up on them. Numbers can rob you of the simple joy of running.

     
  • At 5:22 p.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    I'm attached to my Garmin, too. I make myself leave it at home once in a while so I can just listen to my body.

     
  • At 5:52 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    It's nice to know the mileages of routes, and around here seems to be pretty accurate. Now, my husband and I ran together yesterday, his HR was lower, but the Garmin told him her burned about 150 more calories than me! No fair.

     
  • At 8:20 p.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    I'm pretty much a Luddite, my distance system divides the length of an easy run by 4.5 to get the number of kilometres, but a Garmin is useful for speed workouts.

    You might just want to use it for faster runs, but then again, you did spend a lot of money on it.

     
  • At 10:06 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    I hope you won't get too nung up on numbers:) I found that once I moved to trails, all numbers became relative/approximate/not important. Honest to God, I don't know how much I run unless it's a track workout. I round-down time, divide by what-I-think-is pace and get miles. Works for me. But I was a slave to gadgets as well:)

     
  • At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Gadgets are glorious. Just make sure that you keep an eye on them; remember that you are in charge of them! I am a little suspicious of technology, so if you catch the gadgets up in the night watching TV and eating popcorn, throw their lazy asses out -- they're mooching off you!

     
  • At 5:58 p.m., Blogger Kim said…

    I am sooo jealous. Do feel like it's just a monster on your arm? That's my big concern...it's big...not as big as the older garmins...but...still big...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home