Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I have been to the ends of the earth. And back.

Biked to Mississauga yesterday. Phew! That place is seriously out in the boonies. For those who can't quite appreciate the nasty urban sprawl that is the Greater Toronto Area, let's just leave it at this: I biked for 2 hours straight, covering 40km. Ouch.

Double that on Sunday? You betcha.

Today I returned home, copping out somewhat by biking to the subway, riding it uptown, and then biking home. Still a decent 20k, although I did feel like I was cheating a bit. But the air-conditioned bliss lured me, and I succumbed.

I decided to redeem myself by having a quick run, only 2k, but it was just enough to give me the grand total I was hunting this month: 75k. I know, I know, measly stuff. But I've been biking. Today, however, was the first time I had combined the two sports back-to-back. Now, I have always had a great admiration for triathletes, but after today I am positively in awe: how do you get off your bike after a long ride and settle into a decent rhythm for running? I felt so "off" - jerky and slow, even though I was really running at a decent pace. There is a serious art to the transition, I guess - one that I have yet to master. And swimming? Let's not even discuss swimming just yet.

Still, the tri has a certain mystical allure - I love all three sports, why not combine them? One of my friends is already signed up for a "try-a-tri" this summer, and is pestering me to join her.

Maybe, maybe not. But it's definitely on my mind.

12 Comments:

  • At 11:51 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    I also felt jerky when I tried to run after a bike ride. 40k is a solid ride!

     
  • At 12:17 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    I don't know how they do it either. The whole swim thing is enought to do me in, much less all three together.

    Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 9:02 a.m., Blogger SRR said…

    Yeah...I don't know if I have the coordination and skills to do all 3!

     
  • At 11:56 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    But then you would have to change your blog name to "Liv to Try."

     
  • At 6:08 p.m., Blogger Amy said…

    I can't even make myself get on bike in public, so right now the try a tri is out for me!

    Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 6:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should go for the tri - I hear they are lots of fun.

     
  • At 3:52 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    > 75k. I know, I know, measly stuff.

    What are you talking about? 75K is awesome! Way to go!

     
  • At 12:06 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    It will be nice to watch how you become in to a try!

    Nice job out ther on the bike, sound like you are loving it.
    Look for brick session and you will found out the benefits or bike, then run...

     
  • At 3:51 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    bike = ouch!

    you should try a tri!

     
  • At 11:53 p.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    HEY!!!!!!!! I WAS BORN IN MISSISSAUGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Okay...I just got overly excited. Must go back and read the rest of your post. ;)

     
  • At 4:01 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Doesn't your butt get sore with all that bike riding? You might have an extra cushy seat or something, but still -- ouch!

     
  • At 8:44 p.m., Blogger carmen said…

    hi there, i've enjoyed reading your last couple of entries. love your spunk! :)

    I'm far from a tri at this moment but I think about the possibility of completing one--one of these days or years. haha Go for it!

    Oh yeah, I'm a newbie to blogging about running. I'll be swinging by to read your blog frequently! have a good day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home