Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

An etiquette dilemma

So I've been itching to do another race. I know I have Ride for Heart coming up, and a 5k a few weeks later, and that should be enough... but I've caught the racing bug, and I want more, more, more. Looking for options on the Running Room website, I hit upon a great idea: why not take my dad to the father's day 5k?

My dad was kind enough to drive me to my last 5k, and cheer for me and take pictures too (though I have yet to see them!). He was so excited by the whole event, and realizing the wide range of abilities to which it caters, that he told me he wanted to walk it next year. I observed that there was no need to wait that long - there are 5ks all over the place. I think it's really great that he wants to do this and get in shape - so what better incentive than to sign us both up for June 18th? I asked him if he was game, and he agreed, so though I haven't officially entered yet, it's safe to say I'm committed.

However, this raises my dilemma: I was originally looking to squeeze in an extra 5k because I felt the urge to race. But if this is my present to my father, wouldn't it be much nicer if I stuck with him and walked it too? And wouldn't it in fact be rather rude to say: "happy father's day... see you at the finish line!"

Thus, I'm putting off entering because I haven't resolved this question yet; and if I'm going to walk, I'm bloody well going to sign up as a walker: my run time may be slow, but I'd still like to make an official distinction between whether or not I'm racing. I'm kind of annoyed that I put myself in this bind. Would it be enough to go on supportive father-daughter-bonding training walks with him, and do my own thing on race day - or is the right thing really to spend the event together, suck it up, have fun, and focus on July 14th as my next "real" race?

Argh. What would "Ask Miles" think?

12 Comments:

  • At 1:48 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Walk!

    I'm reminded of the dad who played chess with his younger daughter, and allowed his competitive instinct to override the game, and ruin what should have been their time together.

    I'm sure your dad wouldn't mind if you took off, but frankly I don't think that would be nice for him.

    When I run with my wife, it's a slightly slower pace but that's not important. What is, is spending time together. I know if I want more of a workout, I can add in a few miles on another day.

    I think it would be more meaningful if you both walked it together. Shelve the competitive instinct for a day. After all, it'll be Father's Day, right?

     
  • At 6:43 a.m., Blogger Jack said…

    I would suggest getting up early and run 5K, then go to the race and walk with your dad. It is Father's Day!

     
  • At 9:04 a.m., Blogger L*I*S*A said…

    I have to agree...while it's difficult for us runners to sometimes give up our competitiveness, this is something you and your father can do together. I'd say walk with your dad. :)

     
  • At 10:07 a.m., Blogger Jess said…

    Walk. The worst kind of runner is one who thinks only of her PR and not of the feelings of her loved ones. Don't become that person! In this case, you're first a daughter, then a runner.

     
  • At 10:49 a.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Just to add to the previous comments ... you wouldn't say to your dad "Let me take you somewhere for a bite" and then just leave him at the restaurant to eat by himself!

     
  • At 11:39 a.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    I understand your dilemma - we have a big local race that we always do. When our boys were little, they wanted to do it too. My husband and I both gave up on running that year and walked it with our boys - starting a family tradition that is still going on. Only now, we each do our own thing, own pace. It's such a cool tradition though and one we all look forward too. Who knows? Walk with your Dad this year, and maybe next year he'll be running it with you!

     
  • At 3:29 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Since this is not a huge event and as you say there are lots of 5k there, just walk this one with your father.
    Plan B could be to run the 5k and then come back and walk again to the finish line, certainly you will have time enough.

     
  • At 3:33 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    suck it up and walk! :) i did the mother/daughter 5k race with my mom last year, and even though the results were our combined times, i stuck with her - and it's a good thing I did, cuz she wouldn't have made it!

     
  • At 6:22 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    I think Miles (and I) would say walk. You can always go for a 5K run before hand then have the added accomplishment as you walking 5K to think to yourself (I've already run this far today!)

     
  • At 9:43 p.m., Blogger Liv said…

    Thanks everyone! You've all confirmed what I was already leaning towards - only now, I feel better about it. I'm sure my Dad would thank you too :)

     
  • At 9:05 a.m., Blogger Rice said…

    Walking would be my choice as well.. And I think your dad would see that as part of the gift as well that your holding back to be with him when all your 'friends' are outside playing.

    cheers, and have a good walk.

    Rice.

     
  • At 10:55 a.m., Blogger SRR said…

    What a great idea!! I should do that too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home