Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Plague and Pestilence

I've noticed while reading people's blogs these past few months that an alarming number of runners come down with a cold in the days leading up to a race. As of this morning, I officially joined the club.

I wonder - is it just bad luck? Does pre-race week somehow wear down our immune systems, is it like a big flashing neon sign for viruses saying: open! come on in and make yourselves parasitically at home!..? What is it that makes the infernal microscopic ones descend upon as at this most inconvenient and frustrating time, after all the weeks of healthy hard work?

Phooey for colds, and especially for this one. Well, all I can do is rest, pump myself full of drugs (vitamins, of course...), and hope that I'm going to kick some viral ass before Sunday.

The war is on.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:55 a.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    Good question!!

    Have you tried Airborne yet? Last time I had a cold, I paired that stuff with Vitamin C and it knocked the cold right outta me.

    Get lots of rest and keep the fluids going! Hopefull you'll spring back in no time.

     
  • At 10:03 a.m., Blogger mouse said…

    actually, I think there is some sort of "real" explanation for why runners get sick during their final taper weeks. something having to do with the body being worn down from training, and thus the immune system is more susceptible to illness.

    At any rate, I second the Airborne suggestion. I've always got some in my cupboard.

    good luck!

     
  • At 1:51 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    I wish you recover on time, hope is not the biggest event what you was training for.

     
  • At 1:12 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    Hope the cold will pass with no time. Spring and pre-race combined are never good:)

     
  • At 3:27 p.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    Get well soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home