Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

The band

So RW profiled "the band workout" this month. I was excited to see it - I've had one of these babies since Christmas but didn't know what the hell to do with it. Since today was designated a non-running day, I decided to try it out.

The verdict: when the band works, it works amazingly. I managed a killer hamstring exercise by anchoring one end to my foot and the other to the radiator, and doing curls like that. Felt great, because I've tried this before but with ankle weights, and all I would get is knees that went snap, crackle, pop. Stretchy band = no rice crispies = yay!

But oh man, this thing has plenty of room for error, and it packs a punch. Ever snapped yourself with an elastic band? (I seem to do it every time I'm trying to shoot someone else - sending flying elastics on target is obviously a skill I have yet to master) Well, imagine that sensation only it this big honkin' mega-elastic - yeeeouch!!! I think I might be bruised...

The other thing is, and this is probably strictly my fault for being an ignoramus, I can't for the life of me figure out how to work certain muscles with it. I seemed to be doing the same body parts over and over again no matter what form I took on. Well. Obviously I need some work. However, it's a nice change from the freeweights and the machines. And the best part? I don't even have to leave my room :) No sweaty, stinky gym - just the sweet sound of my next door neighbours having a raucous evening of "beer pong". Oh well - that's residence.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:44 a.m., Blogger Joyce said…

    thanks for your supportive comments on my blog! *hugs*

    where's the info on the band? I've had something like that kicking around for ages now and havent ever used it :P

     
  • At 11:49 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    I could never figure out things like band and ball, so I simply use body weight with squats and lunges and various plyometric excercises. You keep trying, and post pictures!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home