Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Um... I'm cross training... yeah....

... That's my excuse anyway, because I'm sure not running very much! Reading week has played havoc with my running schedule, and I'm usually SO good at keeping it. Oh well, sometimes life gets in the way, and I have to be flexible, I guess.

And by flexible, I mean both mentally AND physically - though I've only run once this week, I've also done yoga and gone rock climbing - two activities which do crazy things to muscles I didn't even know that I had!!! I mean seriously, who knew that you could flex your fingertips? Okay maybe not, but I swear I never realized how many little muscles I have in my forearms. Now I know they're there - they've made their presence quite clear by all being in pain at the same time! Obviously, I'm a very amateur rock climber - apparently you're supposed to use leg, not arm muscles, but I haven't quite mastered that art yet. All in good time.

In any case, the extra recovery time seems to have been beneficial for my running - I beat my previous 5k race time yesterday while doing a tempo run! That was a nice little confidence booster. Unfortunately, I didn't get out today, but there was a good reason: a surprise visit from an out-of-town friend put the run on hold, so it was great to see her and as for running... there's always tomorrow.

I'm at work now and bored, and considering "cross-training" some more by running up and down the stairwell a couple of times. Highly professional, I know. But as long as I avoid the security guard, there's no one around to see me! Hmm.... stairs... how badly do I want to exercise, really...? Maybe not that badly. We'll see.

Update: Ha ha, I did the stairs after all, ran up and down up and down like a maniac - it was a great workout! I really hope they don't have security cameras in the stairwells, but they probably do. Oh well, maybe I've provided some entertainment. One thing I did not take into consideration: having to sit around afterwards cooling off in sweaty scrubs. Ooooops - hope my patients don't smell me :)

3 Comments:

  • At 2:16 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    hahahaha!

    Yes, rock climbing uses the strangest muscles. I climbed for a few years, and never figured out how to primarily use my legs, darn it.

    And in regard to your comment on my motto, yes, I strongly agree with you. It was my frustration with our last presidential election that really got me thinking, and how I came up with it.

     
  • At 1:47 a.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    stairs.are.evil.

    haven't you learned this from my blog!?!?

     
  • At 4:53 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    Rock climbing is fun!

    Running stairs, yay for the workout!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home