Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Hump like a camel

Okay, I realize that post title may disturb some individuals. And maybe I'm going to get some psychotic hits now. Bring it. Because I've got a hump like a camel.

It's my beloved new camelbak hydration pack. I just bought it at the Outdoor Adventure Sports Show at which I volunteered with my scuba club last weekend (and I have determined this may be the coolest show ever - camping and climbing and diving, oh my!) I managed to squeeze in a measly half hour of shopping in between hauling around scuba gear and wearing said scuba gear while demo "diving" in a 6x6x6 foot tank (those numbers might not be quite accurate but you get my point? Tank of Satan...) Actually I lie - the tank was small and gross but I had a lot of fun playing with toy sharks and submarines while making faces at gawkers on the outside. It was like being in the bath as a child. Except I was encased in neoprene and breathing through a regulator and the water was dirty and just about freezing. But yeah, otherwise just like a bath :)

I digress, but that's the backstory. Anyway I picked up the pack because 1) I've been wanting some kind of hydration "device" to take with me on long runs - something that doesn't involve clenching a waterbottle in my fist for an hour 2) It was on "show special" sale, and 3) The sale price of the camelback was cheaper than the sale price of any other water gizmo-gadget on display.

It's quite impressive how many ways you can carry your water around with you. Backpacks, handhelds, belts - choice choice choice. I suppose they all have their conveniences and inconveniences. The best system by far is those water/aid stations they have so conveniently at races - but I guess I'd be hard pressed to find a volunteer crew for training runs, and lacking a vehicle, will have to haul the H2O all by my self.

At this point, I would share my thoughts on the camelbak's performance and give you all a critical evaluation, except for once small caveat... I haven't used it yet! In fact, I haven't even been on a long run in two weeks, and that one was on an indoor track. I'm slumping, right before my race no less - today I elected to take a nap instead of going for an afternoon run. And damned if I'm going to head outside - it may have been sunny lately but there's such a cold wind I can barely catch my breath. That's not entirely because I'm a wuss - I do have very mild asthma which is mostly aggravated by cold (though probably instigated by pollution). But I'm beginning to question the wisdom of signing up for a race - a most assuredly outdoor race - in the tail end of Canadian winter! I'm itching to race, yet dreading the weather. My fingers are crossed for a thaw... any day now!

Ah well, I'm going, and I know what I'll do: I'll bring my fleece and my inhaler- and I'll run like hell, the sooner to get back indoors :)

As for my newly acquired hump, it will just have to remain virginal until I'm ready to face the wide world again.

How far away is June?

6 Comments:

  • At 8:23 a.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    Yay for camelbaks! Very useful when there are no aid stations along a training route (darn it!).

    Slumping before a race = tapering, yeah that's it! It'll make you run better :)

     
  • At 11:49 a.m., Blogger Joyce said…

    That sounds so cool! New running toys are fun :) Cant wait to hear how you like it!

     
  • At 4:23 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    I have one and can't avoid to use it. It helps me a lot in long runs, is like being able to concentrate even more in your running, without having to stop at all.
    Also the way to drink is easier and you don't have to slow down.
    Enjoy it!

     
  • At 7:22 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    Isn't today your drinking night? May be you can use the new camelback for it:)
    Enjoy, it is a good toy to play with.

     
  • At 3:38 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I started with a camelback and switched to hand bottles, but I bought a new and bigger camelback that doubles as a backpack with lots of storage for food as well so I use them all for different reasons. I hope you get a chance to use it soon. I am ready for June as well.

     
  • At 4:06 a.m., Blogger Jack said…

    I have trained for three marathons with my Camelbak and still think it's great! I just ordered a bigger camelbak (3-liter Rim Runner) with added backpack space. It took a couple runs before I got used to the sloshing, but now I don't even notice it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home