Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Being kind of brainless

As my race finally approaches, I had visions of myself getting fitter and faster with a super-organized super-powered training schedule with all the right things in it.

Yeah, that's not happening.

First of all, I should definitely have taken a clue from Running Jayhawk and not done those god-damned stairs - even though I felt pumped right afterwards, today was the first day since that I have been able to flex my calves without pain. Interestingly, I did manage to squeeze in one quick run on Friday despite the suffering, and unbelievably, running was less painful than walking - I didn't want to stop! Well... up to a point, obviously. I have a sneaking suspicion it was the going down stairs that did me in rather than going up. Should I ever feel so demonically possessed as to attempt this again, I'm taking the elevator to the bottom!

Today, however, I figured I should get back on track with my plan, and make up the long run that I missed last week in all the fuss. I was planning for 10-12km. I was not planning to forget to bring my running socks to the gym. Which might not have been the biggest deal, except that the socks I happened to be wearing today are paper-thin on the heels, and I could feel them rubbing by the time I got to the locker room. Luckily, I had some vaseline, so I rubbed that on my skin and hoped it would go the distance.

Well, it didn't - at any rate I didn't - something along those lines. I was feeling gross and achy by km #1. That didn't bode well for the next hour. So I changed tactics, made that bit my warmup, and kicked into sprint mode instead, doing 8x200m at full tilt. All told, it was actually a pretty fun workout, despite the calamities, and I managed to keep a great pace - none of my reps was less than 0:45 or more than 0:46 - how's that for timing? And then to cap it off, the boyfriend joined me for stretching afterwards, which is the only athletic feat in the universe in which I can kick. his. ass. Sweet! (Who me, competitive? nah...)

Anyway, what the hell - I'm doing a 5k, speed workouts are probably more useful than long ones anyway, right? Right?

That's my justification, and I'm sticking to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home