Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Damn damn and what should I do?!?

ARG! Terrible news. Well okay, in the perspective of life, it's actually pretty trivial, but saddening nonetheless - my SCUBA club is having it's annual "recognition night" next Saturday, with promises of hilarity and, best of all, an open bar.

What's so bad about that?

My 5k race is the following morning.

Why don't drinking and running mix? Drinking = fun, running = fun, why not together? Duh, okay, I know why. I know I know I know.

Anyway, I figure, it's 5k, not a marathon. The open bar only lasts for an hour, I'm not going to get myself smashed in that time. Maybe 3 drinks. And then when they start charging, I'll switch to water, and rehydrate myself for the rest of the night, go to bed sober, wake up happy, but still get tipsy for the evening. If anyone thinks that's a terrible idea I need to hear it :)

No, I'm not an alcoholic. I'm just a student.

:P

7 Comments:

  • At 9:30 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    That's a bad idea!

    It's totally terrible news - I had the same thing happen to me before one of my races, and I was sooo bummed. Even just one drink dehydrates you, so I (ever so gently) suggest that you not drink more than one!

    Okay, okay, I'll stop being a mother. Geez. Whatever you do, drink plenty of water, drink Gatorade in the morning, and have fun!!!

    (and thank you for your words of support in regard to Ash's preschool!!!)

     
  • At 12:14 a.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    I don't think it's that bad. I ran my 5k PB on a cup of tea and a few sips of Gatorade. Besides, you're running a St. Patrick's Day race, after all.

    You won't run as fast as you could, but it's probably going to be so damn cold that it won't matter anyway. There will be other races in nicer weather and with better timing.

     
  • At 12:52 a.m., Blogger Iron Jayhawk said…

    I've done this before...just try to keep it to 2 drinks. If anything, just hold it to "appear" all social and what not. No getting buzzed. And if folks ask what you're drinking after you've switched to water...just slur and be hardcore..."IT'S VODKA...STRAIGHT UP!" Works for me ;)

    And I am so.freaking.jealous. you're in a SCUBA club. I went scuba diving once several years ago. But since my lung collapsed, that is a big, fat, massive no no. I'm going to live vicariously through you!!

     
  • At 9:40 a.m., Blogger Amy said…

    I've done that twice. The 1st time I missed the race because I felt soooooooooo horrible the next day and didn't want to do the walk of shame in front of my peers.

    The 2nd time I learned my lesson a little but thought the whole time i was running "I wish i hadn't drank that beer...."

    It's your call, but good luck regardless of what you choose to do!

    Oh, and you are my idol if you can drink 3 drinks during the hour of open bar and not be drunk :)

     
  • At 1:57 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    How about just one drink?

    Done it before myself, it wasn't so bad, in fact I couldn't tell I had drink the night before.

     
  • At 2:17 p.m., Blogger Liv said…

    Thanks for all the advice everyone... I'll be sure to post about the end decision, and results!

     
  • At 7:44 a.m., Blogger Rice said…

    does not sound like a good idea if you really want to hit the race hard but it will help train you for toughness. We use to do it in the navy all the time.. (I did not like running as much then.)

    Cheers.

    Rice

     

Post a Comment

<< Home