Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Monday, January 16, 2006

My drug of choice

I'm not a drug person. Well, I'm big on Advil and its companions, but not a huge fan of getting high - on chemicals, anyway. They don't "enhance" my experience of anything the way they're supposed to. I guess they just don't work that well on me (alcohol excepted :)).

But I think I do get high nonetheless - on running.

Otherwise, there's just no logical reason to explain why a person who was sick for two days, then drank her brains out and lost her voice at a party on Friday night, would be even remotely interested in running 5 kilometres on Saturday. Which is what I did. And I was more than remotely interested - I was just itching to go.

It was more than just guilt, it was more than the thought of my weight. It was actually a desire for nothing more than the act of running itself. It was simply this amazing motivation from an intrinsic feeling.

And that feeling was amazing!

(My friend who was staying with me took a nap while I went to the gym. She thinks I'm on crack - I'm not. I'm just addicted to running!)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:12 p.m., Blogger Amy said…

    I blogged a letter to Advil...it was silly but I wanted to always remember how much I truly love Advil.

    And hey, we don't run because of weight. We run because we can :)

     
  • At 8:20 p.m., Blogger Olga said…

    I know that drug...can't get rid of an obsession!

     
  • At 10:44 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    According to one of my (non-running, ex-druggie) friends, running produces the same endorphins as heroin. Or produces those endorphins in the same spot in the brain as heroin. Or something like that. According to her, one really can get addicted to running, and supposedly it is even stronger than heroin. I've always found that fascinating. So whenever I go for a lunchtime run, she laughs at me with a knowing look in her eye, "going to get your fix, eh?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home