Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Back to school, back to rez, back to the good ol' gym

It appears that everybody in the world's New Year's resolution is to get in shape. Ah, it's inevitable. The population at the gym always doubles in January. Thankfully, it will peter out soon enough. Two, maybe three weeks. Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm in favour of the world getting in shape - our entire continent is plagued by obesity. It's just that, well I'm jealous of the gym, and I like it best when you don't have to wait for your weights (ha!)

On the flipside, I find myself truly missing the outdoors. Yes, I whined at first about running in the snow - but I kind of got a kick out of it after a little acclimatization. Runs are so much more interesting when you are trotting around the neighbourhood instead of mindlessly lapping the track, over and over again - which is not only boring, but also mentally taxing, because seeing that Santa didn't bring me a watch which counts laps, I have to constantly remember which one I'm on (it's not really Santa's fault, I didn't think to ask ;)) But, I mustn't forget, the track has it's perks - it's warm, precisely measured, and the rubberized surface is a lot better for my tender knees than the pavement. I'm still friends with the track.

So, I think the best course of action is to mix things up a little - map out some outdoor routes for scenery and fresh air (oh gmaps how I love thee!), and save the track for speedwork and/or rotten weather. And for when resolution runners start going back to their respective couches and getting out of my way :)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:50 p.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    I sense that you run at the University of Toronto's Athletic Centre, on its hard blue track, unless you have membership at a different gym (or go to York).

    I also sense that you spend a lot of time weaving around aspiring meatheads and ditzy floozies sprinting and lollygagging around the track respectively.

     
  • At 8:23 p.m., Blogger Ryan said…

    First observation: It's pretty cool that Canadians use the "u" in the word "favor" as well as the Brits. I work in a British company and I find I need to add the "u" the "colours", "flavours" and many other nouns. It makes the writing look so much more sophisticated.

    Great job on the winter break running habits. I agree the more you read and blog about running, the more you'll be motivated to get out there and do it. Keep it up.

     
  • At 4:54 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    Yep, the track field can get boring!
    Same reason I'm not going to the gym lately, beside it's not that cold here...yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home