Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Drugs part deux

I've received some interesting commentary on my "addicted to running" post, so I thought I'd elaborate by sharing with everyone my *very* rudimentary knowledge of how this addiction really works... I took a course on physiological psychology this past semester, and actually got a good enough grade in it that I feel I can share information with a reasonable degree of certainty :)

Without going into too much detail, here's what happens when you run (or engage in any kind of cardiovascular exercise. But running is the best. 'Nuff said.): neurons are activated which release chemicals called endorphins into your system - these are known as "endogenous opiates", which basically means they're your body's inner version of opium, morphine and heroin. Needless to say, there is major addictive potential when these guys circulate. They act as a natural reward system for your body, so unlike their artificial, poppy-derived companions, are not dangerous. However, the potential to get addicted is very real. It explains why once we've established a running habit, we go so crazy if we have to stay off our feet due to injury or illness - we are actually experiencing a form of withdrawal depression. Runner beware: some people end up turning to artificial stimulants to replace their loss, and this is of course very bad for your health.

But as with everything running-related, as long as we are sensible about fueling our addiction, it's likely the healthiest dependency we can possibly cultivate!

My "fix" today was a gorgeous 8k run through the neighborhood - I haven't run outside since I got back to rez, but today was such a beautiful mild day that I just had to take advantage of it. Total time 53:01 - aka comfortably sustaining a 10:38 mile, woohoo! Yes, I AM proud of this - major improvement!!! In fact, I've noticed that my "easy" pace seems to get progressively faster the longer I run - it's as though I need a while to settle in before establishing a rhythm - at around 30min I suddenly felt like my body "melted" into the pace and every movement became easier. I wonder why this is but I'm not complaining - makes me hold out the hope that I'll survive a marathon one day!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:00 a.m., Blogger Johnny Lyons said…

    I read both your "drug" posts and wanted to related experiences I've had. Back in high school and college I was often compelled to, had to, get out the morning(sometimes the same evening) after a party or other form of mindless humanity. I never much of a physiological urge, just the psychological pull. I needed to get outside where the world was connected, not isolated and hiding from reality like the parties. I needed to know that the world was there and that I was too. I often cried inside wishing my friends could be there, connecting and not running away from the world. Connecting with me, not partying next to me.

     
  • At 11:06 a.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    Very cool - you were able to eloquently summarize what my friend had told me.

    I have yet to sustain a comfortable pace under 11-min-miles. But I'll get there! Good job on the 8k run.

     
  • At 12:35 p.m., Blogger Jess said…

    I need a warm up period in my run, and after I get through the first twenty or thirty minutes, I feel like I could go forever, of course, I don't.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home