Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Arms Amuck

I may not be a speedy runner, but I think that, on the whole, I am at least an efficient one. Not that I've ever had the opportunity to observe my own stride or anything, but I do pay attention to it, and feel that, in general, I've got it right: torso upright, upper body relaxed, feet forward, arms pumping gently back and forth beside me. My shoes keep my tendency to slightly overpronate in check. In short, I hope I don't look like a nut out there.

Because let me tell you, some people seriously do. A lot are stoop-shouldered, some are pigeon-toed, and others lurch in an ungainly fashion or lean drastically to one side. But above all this, I have noticed that the oddest things people do while running seem to involve their arms.

I run at my university track, and get to see an awful lot of this. Most of them are regulars. There is wonky-arm guy, whose left arm is in perfect glide, while his right swings wildly back and forth across his body. I swear, it encroaches on the adjacent lane. There is forgetful guy, whose arms just hang limp and useless by his side, wobbling around a little, as if he doesn't realize they're there. And then my personal favourite - he's either a cheerleader or a musician, because as he runs his arms beat up and down in front of him as if he were trying to play the drums or shake some pom poms with wild abandon. On second thought, tje gesture also kind of looks like when kids pound on the table because they're hungry or want attention or something - temper tantrum fists.

So yeah, I'll admit it, most of these people are passing me. But - I think I look a lot prettier :)

Speaking of arms and all, mine are killing me - in the good way: finally got to some weight lifting again today. Hoping to make this a regular thing, but so far "regular" equals once a week. Still trying to step it up a little - but it's something. Ran 6k yesterday and felt great, even though my boyfriend must have lapped me about six million times. *Sigh* - he does motivate me, but he's just too damn fast...!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:00 a.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    Some people are naturals and some are not. I ran for four years and did reasonably well before I learned to move my arms. Try running with your arms around your hips and see where it gets you.

     
  • At 9:54 a.m., Blogger mouse said…

    hahahahaha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices (and sometimes... secretly makes fun of) the goofy way some people run!

    But hey, we're all out there, even if we look goofy, and I guess that's all that counts.

     
  • At 1:49 p.m., Blogger Liv said…

    You're absolutely right mouse... I just want to clarify, I realize my post might look too critical - I just meant to point out the funny side, and the things I tend to notice when there's not much else to look at - that's all :)

     
  • At 11:34 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Weight lifting once a week is better than no times a week. I admit that I comment to my running partners about other peoples form as well while running. It is all in good fun.

     
  • At 10:35 p.m., Blogger Joyce said…

    when i was a kid i saw a woman running who was doing arm exercises at the same time... she was flailing all around and looked so psycho! talk about trauma lol...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home