Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Nnnnoooo!

Garmin is broken! She's dying! She needs help!

I don't understand what on earth could have happened to her - she worked beautifully during the race, dutifully recording my (amazing!) splits, and ended up clocking 3.14 miles for a 5k race - I was totally impressed with her accuracy.

And then... and then... as I blogged later that night, I turned her on to share my wonderful split times with all of you - and the "mode" button would not work! I pressed it - nothing. I pressed harder - still nothing. I turned her off and on again. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Other than that, however, she seemed to be working fine, so yesterday I took her out for a run. I plotted out a mile-long loop, and ran it five times (a little boring, but it was after dark, so I thought I had better be a responsible little girl and not stray too far from home). Miles 1 & 2? No problemo. Mile 3 - she was starting the counting backwards thing. Arg! I stopped and started the timer, which always worked before, but apparently she was in quite the mood, and told me I ran mile 3 in 15 min. I'm sorry, hun, I'm slow, but I'm not THAT slow.

After that it was all over - I'm really glad I recorded the loop, and knew how far I was going, because as far as Garmin is concerned I ran about 3.08 miles or some such thing. And I know, I know we shouldn't rely on technology, but dammit! I love my Garmin running - I love knowing my splits and my pace and my distance and my intervals and all that wonderful information. I'm a little obsessive about these things when it comes to running. It's nerdy, but it's true.

I have emailed tech support at Garmin, but no one has responded to me yet. *sigh*. I hope they can fix her, I really hope so, or I am going to be one unhappy camper - with a big hole in her wallet that is no longer justified.

Has this ever happened to any of you before? What did you do????

9 Comments:

  • At 5:19 p.m., Blogger Joe said…

    Technology sucks sometimes but I'm thankful for it because it keeps guys like me employed. Maybe you should compare notes with Leah. She has a brand new Garmin too but I think she has had no major problems with it.

     
  • At 5:35 p.m., Blogger yumke said…

    That's odd. in my post yesterday, i wrote about how my garmin (305) went wonkers after 300ish metres.. it turns out it didn't pick up satellites properly and had me mapped out running on TOP of the lake.. maybe it's the satellite coverage of toronto yesterday?

    Anyways, i had it show me error messages and i just turned it off.. This morning, I did a 7 miler and it was perfect to all the km marks that I know..

    go figure..

     
  • At 6:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know what to tell you, but I sure hope you get it figured out soon. Is yours the 305? I have the 301 and never have problems with it unless I'm in an area with a lot of trees or tall buildings. I'm probably jinxing myself, and mine will stop working tomorrow! Good Luck!

     
  • At 7:00 p.m., Blogger Brooke said…

    It has happened to me before....and I had to buy a new one. How old is your Garmin?? Mine was 2-3 years old before it happened. We just replaced it with another 201. I hope yours gets better soon.

     
  • At 10:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not a garmin girl but I feel your pain.

     
  • At 12:10 a.m., Blogger L*I*S*A said…

    Drats! I'm sure having a broken Garmin is a pain in the butt. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

     
  • At 2:07 a.m., Blogger MNFirefly said…

    Oh darn! That's so frustrating. I hope you can get your Garmin fixed.

     
  • At 1:14 p.m., Blogger tryathlete said…

    I've read that it sometimes happens because it hasn't (for some reason) registered that you've passed a certain position. When you run over your route again it thinks you are heading backwards.

    I don't have a Garmin - my IndexFingerOnWristmin works just as well. But a Garmin, even when it's bonkers, is nice to have too.

     
  • At 4:46 p.m., Blogger SRR said…

    OMG!!! I would have to poke someone with a fork if that happened to my Garmin!! Good luck, Liv!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home