Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Chuggin'

So I finally took Mr. Camelback out for a spin - completely unnecessary, it was a 4k jog, but it was the first time I'd been outside in ages so I thought what the hell - no one out there will be able to tell whether I'm logging 4k or 40! I took about two sips of water the whole time, but it was more to get used to the idea of running with water sloshing around on my back - and honestly, I forgot most of the time that the thing was even there. Of course, I didn't fill it up, and I was wearing it over a jacket, so I expect that in other conditions it might make its presence known. I also definitely need to tie up all the spare straps - I was like the amazing flying tentacled runner out there! Overall though I'm quite pleased with it, and I think this is shaping up to be a meaningful relationship.

In fact, drinking of all sorts is on my mind these days. Everyone's already up to speed on my "open bar" dilemma, which I have decided to confront in a sensible manner: I do not want to compromise this race for a couple of drinks, especially having just recently conquered a cold - not to mention that my Dad is driving me to the race and taking pictures, wouldn't he be proud if I sucked because I was hungover...! So I'm going to take it easy tomorrow (uhh... today that is... time is screwy when you work all night...) and let my drunken friends entertain me - never a dull sport.

Another matter involves beverages of a caffeinated nature. I've been experimenting on myself all week - I cut out coffee entirely in one fell swoop, replacing it with black or green tea as necessary. I find I've been having a lot of "gut" issues recently (charming, I know), so maybe dispensing with the acidic coffee will help alleviate some of the distress. If anyone has other suggestions about this, I'd welcome them...! At any rate, I don't miss the coffee (certainly not the dishwater they brew up at my cafeteria!), and with tea being all good for you according to recent reviews, I'm feeling virtuous on, count 'em, three levels: 1)It's better for me 2)I'm saving money because I make the tea myself instead of buying at the cafeteria 3)I'm helping the environment because I'm drinking my tea at home or in a travel mug instead of chucking a paper cup into the trash every morning.

And that about sums up what I'm imbibing these days. Next up on the experiment list: forays into the mysterious realms of Gatorade...

3 Comments:

  • At 10:22 a.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Nice you enjoyed the camel pack, I think after some runs with it you will be addicted to use it.
    After trying the way of drinking with it, you hate to stop and swallow water...

     
  • At 1:31 p.m., Blogger Joyce said…

    i love hearing about new running gear!

    i agree about the coffee, you belly will love you for it! but every so often i get the worst cravings now for a good timmie's coffee!

     
  • At 10:21 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    mmm gatorade...my second favorite bff!

    camelbak = love (except in summer, when you wear it over a tank top)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home