Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Strategizing

Here's a question I'm pondering: does one taper for a 10k? I know you would definitely do it for a marathon, and even a half, but the shorter race? I'm not sure. My Smartcoach schedule has me running my highest mileage ever in this, the second-to-last week before the race, and a hard long tempo only two days before. Should I stick to this, or would it be better to cut back a little and focus on easier runs? I want to be in good shape for the 10k, but I also want to be totally fresh, and not smarting from any gruelling workouts. So I solicit the general opinion of training-savvy RBF-ers - would I be right to modify the program a little?... Or am I just looking for a "good" excuse to be lazy?

4 Comments:

  • At 11:32 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    Personally, I take the day before a 10K off. I want fresh legs for that distance. Otherwise I don't really taper - I might do longer runs, but easy. No big hills. It'll be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks.

     
  • At 11:52 p.m., Blogger onepinkfuzzy said…

    I'm not really "training-savvy," but I would think that you'd want to take it easy that week, and don't run the day before.

     
  • At 2:18 a.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    You certainly don't want the long tempo a couple of days before. If you have a workout earlier in the week, you might want to cut it short by a bit, but stick with easier running.

    Many people don't run the day before a race, but I like to go for a short jog (30 minutes) to stay loose. It's up to you.

    Which 10k is this?

     
  • At 12:34 p.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    I think it depends on your goal. if you want to run a good race or shoot for a PR then you should taper a week before and not run the day before. In my case, if I just want to run I won't taper at all and willjust run it for fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home