Liv to run

Lots of random ranting, whining, and attempts at being humourous as I run, run, run in pursuit of higher mileage and better races.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

'Tis the season

No, not Christmas. It's TAX REFUND season. It's Christmas in April. It's my birthday in April (actually, it really is, but I'll post about that later...) It's the beginning of the long and anguishing decision: what oh what should I buy with all this "free" money?

Before I actually filed my taxes, I had already treated myself to my new love, Ms. Nano, and justified it by saying, "well, that's my refund money... a little early". But now, oh glorious now, I have been informed that I will actually be getting back more than double the amount I was expecting! Oh Government of Canada, how I love you for taking my money away from me all year, and then giving it back in a lump so that I feel like you really love me.

Hence, the decision-making process all over again. I know, I know... I should put in in my savings account. I should invest in a GIC. Booo for saving money. I'm terrible at it - I like to shop way too much. I know I need some new clothes - well, if "need" is a relative term. So perhaps some portion of the budget should be put to use there. But even more tempting, these days, is my particular weakness - internet shopping: point, click, voila - new toys. And this running obsession is really making me lust after some fun gadgets that I know I totally don't need but I want them anyway...

I confess this as I scroll through the eBay listings, drooling over the Garmin Forerunner 305. Before, I wasn't so sure I wanted a Garmin, because of the price, the size, the fact that it's been known to malfunction around trees and buildings, and the fact that gmaps-pedometer exists to make this world a better place.

However, gmaps cannot precisely map out the twists and turns of some trails I'm longing to try. It doesn't do shortcuts. It's time consuming and only as accurate as my pointing and clicking. Plus, it can't tell me my heart rate or my splits. Forerunner 305 is sleeker and more streamlined than 301 - and it's supposed to be far more sensitive to the satellites than the previous models. Does anyone have one who can confirm (or deny) the propaganda? And finally, the price... eBay just makes everything so much more accessible. Although a little riskier. I don't know if it's a risk I should take...

... but I'm being tempted. Oh so tempted. I think I'm seriously in danger of becoming a gadget whore.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:10 p.m., Blogger psbowe said…

    I like your new changes to your site!
    I hear on the tax refund, yes I did mine on the last day! But I'm getting a refund too, speaking of which I think I better check to see if they deposited into my acct yet.
    Thanks for leaving thoughtful comments on my blog.

     
  • At 10:05 p.m., Blogger Hilda said…

    Nice you have extra money the same month as your birthday, you will be able to buy yourself many presents, who doesn't love shopping? Now being a runner there is so much to buy!!

    Thanks for your explanation, still what I want is to have a design made by myself... one day...

     
  • At 10:27 p.m., Blogger Backofpack said…

    What's a refund? Oh, I think I sorta remember what that is... I do know what a payment is though.

    My husband loves his Garmin. I love it because he wears it and fiddles with it, and takes it out to measure routes for me. I don't like wearing any more than my watch, and even that bugs me.

    Like the new look of your site too!

     
  • At 6:47 a.m., Blogger R2B said…

    Just get out there and buy it!
    You won't regret it i'm sure.

    Ps hi,just surfing through blogland!


    Cheers R2B

     
  • At 11:51 a.m., Blogger Jessica DeLine said…

    ahh... I want the Forerunner 305 so bad! But alas... I have refrained... So far... I know what you mean about gmap. There is a very large section of trails near me that gmap (or google) don't even have an image for so that makes it tricky...

     
  • At 10:37 p.m., Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said…

    The 305 is more accurate and does come with improved software for manipulating the data from your run. Of course, I'd never go near one, I just happen to work at a running store.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home